Chatham Town vs Chipstead

Ryman South
Score: 4 - 4

Match Report

Both teams let slip a two goal lead as an exciting game between Chatham Town and Chipstead ended 4-4.

Chatham won the game’s first corner and had the game’s first shot, but it was Chipstead who took the lead through Simpson with 15 minutes played. Simpson added a second three minutes later, and Chatham seemed to be staring down the barrel. They pulled a goal back ten minutes before half time though when George Benner – making his debut for Chatham after joining from East Grinstead – got his head to an Owen Price cross.

Chatham equalised three minutes into the second half, and for once the luck ran their way. Ricky Freeman’s shot from the edge of the penalty area was on target, but it looked as if it would be comfortably saved by Chipstead keeper Colquhoun. However, the ball slipped through Colquhoun’s hands and into the net; he was furious with himself, but Chatham were level. Freeman’s backheeled shot four minutes later was spilled by the keeper and the ball ran loose, and although a Chatham player went to ground in the scramble which followed, no foul was adjudged committed. Freeman would not be denied though, and with 55 played his shot following a free kick took a deflection off a Chipstead player and gave the hapless keeper no chance.

Just three minutes later, and it was four. Enoch Adjei’s cross found Tom Michelson, whose hard hit shot beat the keeper into the far corner. Chatham were running riot, and when Adjei broke free on the hour the nearest Chipstead defender saw no option but to stick out a leg and bring Adjei crudely to the ground. That defender was rather fortunate to see only the yellow card. A good save from Colquhoun denied Adjei five minutes later, but then it was Chipstead’s turn to fight their way back into the game.

They pulled one goal back on 72, and then equalised from close range on 77. But there were thirteen minutes plus added time to play, and surely the game held more goals. Well, no, it didn’t. While Chipstead looked threatening when they had the ball, it was Chatham who had more of the ball in that final period and who created the better chances. Austin Edwards saw a header punched clear by Colquhoun, while Chatham won three corners in the space of a minute in the dying moments of the game. No goal came though, and the final whistle brought a draw which was perhaps the fairest result.

Venue Information

Maidstone Road


vs Yellow Card
Abdul Lyoubi
Austin Edwards
Alex Hyde (GK)
vs Goal
Cameron Heffernan
Ricky FreemanGoalGoal
George BennerGoal


Kyron Lightfoot
Josh Bray
Freeman RogersSub
Ryan FlackSub
Connor HeffernanSub